Nominate and win: Tell us your best holiday experiences of 2014 and you could win a dream trip from the Outback to the Reef staying at Crystalbrook Lodge and Orpheus Island in far north Queensland. Every year we need your help to uncover and reward Australia’s favourite travel experiences, accommodation and destinations for our People’s Choice Awards. The winners will be revealed in Australian Traveller’s People’s Choice Issue – December/January special edition on sale 4...
Already you can’t take liquids (over 100ml) on your carry-on luggage and sometimes you have to take off your shoes and belt before boarding a flight, but things are about to even more intense now that the Australian Government has declared a high terror alert. How will this affect you and what can you do, asks Quentin Long. 1. Beat the queues New security measures ultimately will mean longer queues. The old adage of “I can get there 30 minutes before a domestic flight or 90 minutes before an international flight” is gone. Plan to be at the airport three...
So you've trodden the white sands, seen the red crabs and swum with the whale sharks on Christmas Island... What next? Here's what next, writes Georgia Rickard. 1. Go diving with local instructor, Hama – he’s been here since 1996, knows the place inside and out, and will do his best to take you anywhere you like. 2. Get a two-hour island induction with Indian Ocean Experiences. Tours are run by Lisa Preston, who has lived here for 17 years and knows a thing or three about the island’s secret spots. 3. Splurge on tickets to the outdoor cinema, held...
The humble bicycle meets rolling countryside... hop on for one of these luxury cycle tours through some of the finest scenery and fecund food baskets in all of Australia. Gourmet Cycling for Softies, Victorian High Country If you’re inspired by our experience, the aptly named ‘gourmet cycling for softies’ just might also appeal. This five-day fully guided tour through Victoria’s High Country will have you pedalling from Milawa to Myrtleford, indulging in fine produce along the way. $1950 per person, twin-share including breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Best of Tasmania From white sandy beaches to rugged mountains, Tasmania has the...
GREAT AUSTRALIAN TRAVEL
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT