Uncrowded beaches, mist-tinged rainforests and rocky islands teeming with fairy penguins and seals... This stretch from the Sapphire Coast to East Gippsland has it all, and a host of hidden gems - one of Australia’s 16 Ultimate Escapes Scattered with national parks and reserves, Mother Nature puts on one of her finest performances in this special corner of Australia. Highlights include the 100-kilometre Wilderness Coast Walk, which traverses the inlets...
Greta Stonehouse goes digging around for dirt on Australia’s most prolific flower show, Canberra’s Floriade. “The most asked question at Floriade is about the English daisies, which look like little buttons - people always want to know what they are.” The event’s head gardener Andrew Forster answers one of the most burning questions surrounding Floriade to date, and if anyone knows their tulips from their daisies it’s this guy. Floriade, held in Canberra’s Commonwealth Park, is the largest flower show in the Southern Hemisphere. In 2013 alone almost 450,000 thousand people attended. In 2014 more than one million flowers and...
With unprecedented access, Georgia Rickard goes deep inside the reborn One&Only Hayman Island. There was once a resort in Fiji where my mother and her sisters were privileged to spend almost every holiday. The resort and its experiences had reached almost mythical proportions from the stories passed down to her children; it was with anticipation and nervousness that we – finally! – made a point of visiting the resort together, on a trip to Fiji a few years ago. But on arrival, as we looked about the beach, the bar, the bures; only one word made it out of Mum’s...
An eight-day journey taking in approximately 1030 kilometres of the south-west coast’s beautiful beaches and forests, topped off with gourmet adventures around Pemberton and Margaret River (By Daniel Scott). Tail-wagging, Bella leads us through an avenue of hazel trees. Nose close to the ground, the young black labrador snuffles the base of each tree, seeking out edible gold. Suddenly she stops and begins pawing at the earth. Bingo! Although the season ended weeks ago, Bella’s training has led her to two small black perigord truffles. We’re soon savouring the funghi-like delicacies, which fetch up to $3000 per kilo, with a glass...
GREAT AUSTRALIAN TRAVEL
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Thalia Haven – the greatest ocean-view bathtub in sight?
- Ultimate Escapes: Tasmania
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #2 road trip Tasmania’s east coast
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #5 book into Saffire Freycinet, Tas
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #13 (a tie) walk the Freycinet Experience, Tas
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT