Nominate and win: Tell us your best holiday experiences of 2014 and you could win a dream trip from the Outback to the Reef staying at Crystalbrook Lodge and Orpheus Island in far north Queensland. Every year we need your help to uncover and reward Australia’s favourite travel experiences, accommodation and destinations for our People’s Choice Awards. The winners will be revealed in Australian Traveller’s People’s Choice Issue – December/January special edition on sale 4...
Diving a rainforest creek is surreal enough, but with a platypus? Steve Madgwick jumps head-first into a world-first experience A yellow-beaked cormorant perches purposefully on an overhanging branch, staring down at the riverbank next to me – a good sign. A beaming full moon pokes out of a clearing in the gum trees – not such a good sign. The moon tells me that there’s probably only a few minutes remaining of my ‘rainforest scuba taster’, the second of today’s hour-long dives in Finch Hatton Creek on my quest for some one-on-one time with a platypus. The bird habitually steals...
Almost 60 per cent of the world’s whale population – including humpbacks, blue whales, minke whales and orcas – call Australia home. Here are our the best destinations for a close encounter Exmouth,WA Although not technically whales, whale sharks visit the warm waters of Exmouth to feed between April and July. Ningaloo Reef is one of the only places they regularly return to in large numbers, where visitors can dive with them or watch from afar. whalesharkdive.com Albany,WA Humpbacks can be seen passing Albanyen route to Broome between June and October, while southern right whales tend to shelter in local bays...
Australian Traveller photography intern Daniel Hine gets a masterclass in landscape photography, comedy and humility from legendary Australian snapper Ken Duncan (all photos Daniel Hine) My alarm went off and, after a couple of ‘snoozes’, I woke up to pitch blackness and crisp spring air flowing through my window. Usually I’d go back to bed, but today was the beginning of Ken Duncan’s Coastal Exposure 2014, a photography workshop based in picturesque seaside Terrigal on the New South Wales Central Coast. We came from myriad career backgrounds, but we were all there to appreciate nature and capture its timeless beauty....
GREAT AUSTRALIAN TRAVEL
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT