An eight-day journey taking in approximately 1030 kilometres of the south-west coast’s beautiful beaches and forests, topped off with gourmet adventures around Pemberton and Margaret River Tail-wagging, Bella leads us through an avenue of hazel trees. Nose close to the ground, the young black labrador snuffles the base of each tree, seeking out edible gold. Suddenly she stops and begins pawing at the earth. Bingo! Although the season ended weeks ago,...
We asked Australia’s top food and travel journalists to nominate the country’s best new food weekends (as part of 'The Hot List' issue, out now) . Here’s what they had to say If you’re in-the-know (or let’s face it, even if you’re not), you’d be aware that gourmet getaways are the holiday of the moment. But once you’ve eaten your way through umpteen courses at our most awarded restaurants, and sipped on the chardonnays, sauvs and chenin blancs of our most beloved wine regions, where does the next notch in your belt come from? Fear not, we asked six epicurean...
Georgia Rickard discovers surprises at every turn on a trip of a lifetime to idyllic Indian Ocean outpost Christmas Island. Somewhere, deep in a crevice of the Christmas Island jungle, a rifle-wielding Coconut Crab is biding his time. “It happened when the soldiers relocated here, after the Tampa crisis,” recalls long-time resident, Linda Cash. “They were going through a training drill in the jungle when one of their rifles just clean disappeared. Gone. Just like that.” Having looked everywhere, and failing to locate the gun, the soldiers were eventually forced to conclude what the locals could have told them....
Free your spirit on the beautiful Coral Coast, where rolling red desert dunes collide with a turquoise ocean teeming with colourful underwater characters – including the world’s largest fish, The Whale Shark - (one of Australia’s 16 Ultimate Escapes) The landscape between Western Australia’s Shark Bay World Heritage-listed area and the northern tip of Ningaloo Reef is as dramatic as the frontier is remote. Alien-like termite hills dot the horizon in the north and turquoise waters brim with lively fringing reefs that stretch across 260 kilometres of coastline. Along with exquisite white-sand beaches, this region is most famous for its abundant...
GREAT AUSTRALIAN TRAVEL
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #23 a beachy road trip in WA’s South West
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Thalia Haven – the greatest ocean-view bathtub in sight?
- Ultimate Escapes: Tasmania
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #2 road trip Tasmania’s east coast
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #5 book into Saffire Freycinet, Tas
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #13 (a tie) walk the Freycinet Experience, Tas
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT