The Northern Lights get all the love when it comes to natural light phenomena but did you know Australia has its own light show – the Aurora Australis? Greta Stonehouse speaks to ‘Southern Lights’ experts to see why you might want to consider Tasmania before you book your flight to Scandinavia, Canada... or Siberia. Fifteen years ago Margaret Sonnermann was driving from Launceston to Hobart when she noticed something in...
From mineral springs to mud baths, these are Australia's best natural hot soaks to put on your weekend bucket list, says Mandy McKeesick 1. Peninsula Hot Springs, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria This lovely little retreat in Victoria is the real deal, having been voted ‘Best Luxury Mineral Spa’ in the 2014 World Luxury Hotel Awards. By all accounts, however, Peninsula Hot Springs – found on Victoria’s physically-blessed Mornington Peninsula – is something of a stand-out experience, located on a 17-hectare property offering not one, but 20 different styles of relaxation, including thermal mineral spring pools, an underground sauna, private outdoor baths,...
Nominate and win: Tell us your best holiday experiences of 2014 and you could win a dream trip from the Outback to the Reef staying at Crystalbrook Lodge and Orpheus Island in far north Queensland. Every year we need your help to uncover and reward Australia’s favourite travel experiences, accommodation and destinations for our People’s Choice Awards. The winners will be revealed in Australian Traveller’s People’s Choice Issue – December/January special edition on sale 4 December. TO ENTER/NOMINATE CLICK HERE As a reward for your time, your nomination will be in the running to win a Outback to Reef luxury prize for two people. The $11,000...
The Queensland capital might have taken a bit of time to emerge from the shadows of its east-coast cousins, but boy, has Brisbane ever gotten its cool on. Enough so to have Lonely Planet proclaim it as Australia’s hippest city in December last year; and it’s only going to get better. Here’s why. 1. it’s a rising hub of gastronomic creativity Do we dare declare Brisbane as Australia’s most hot-right-now culinary corner? Whoops, we just did – sorry Melbourne. With a host of lively and über cool watering holes, chic wine bars, excellent fine dining, and cute and cosy cafés,...
GREAT AUSTRALIAN TRAVEL
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT