Nominate and win: Tell us your best holiday experiences of 2014 and you could win a dream trip from the Outback to the Reef staying at Crystalbrook Lodge and Orpheus Island in far north Queensland. Every year we need your help to uncover and reward Australia’s favourite travel experiences, accommodation and destinations for our People’s Choice Awards. The winners will be revealed in Australian Traveller’s People’s Choice Issue – December/January special edition on sale 4...
Splash out for a holiday, you've earned it! Ah, but where to go? All the luxury destinations that made our recent 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia list have become destinations in their own right. Here's how our 20-member panel of experts rated the most opulent places to stay in Australia (number they finished overall in the 100 in brackets). Here's the 1000-threadcount Aussie bucket list of Luxury Lodges... 1. Book into Saffire Freycinet, Tasmania (5) 2. Stay at qualia. Just once in your life, Hamilton Island, Queensland (10) 3. … And go straight to Lizard Island afterwards, Queensland (11) 4....
With one million hectares of pristine, protected bushland, this blue-tinged World Heritage wilderness is a playground for nature lovers. Bring hiking shoes, a sense of adventure and a good camera to the Blue Mountains- one of Australia’s 16 Ultimate Escapes Vast and spectacular, the Greater Blue Mountains is a region that likes to do things in widescreen. Waterfalls cascade from steep, vertical cliffs, and vistas across a seemingly endless bushland panorama stir the adventurer within. The region – named after the signature blue-tinged haze arising from the abundance of eucalyptus trees – is famous for its raw, wild beauty. Witness soaring escarpments...
So you've trodden the white sands, seen the red crabs and swum with the whale sharks on Christmas Island... What next? Here's what next, writes Georgia Rickard. 1. Go diving with local instructor, Hama – he’s been here since 1996, knows the place inside and out, and will do his best to take you anywhere you like. 2. Get a two-hour island induction with Indian Ocean Experiences. Tours are run by Lisa Preston, who has lived here for 17 years and knows a thing or three about the island’s secret spots. 3. Splurge on tickets to the outdoor cinema, held...
GREAT AUSTRALIAN TRAVEL
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT