2012 Readers’ Choice Awards: Best Campsite or Caravan Park
Big4, Adventure Whitsunday Resort
Surrounded by 26 acres of botanical gardens and boasting the biggest lagoon-style pool in Airlie Beach, this Big4 outpost was always going to be a top contender.
With accommodation ranging from budget camp sites to self-contained three-bedroom cabins, entries consistently credited the property for being clean, convenient and great value for money.
But it seems young families are the resort’s biggest customer, particularly impressed by the children’s playground facilities.
One reader voted for the resort for its “lush tropical grounds, modern cabins with Tim Tams on arrival, loads of activities for the kids and easy access to Airlie Beach’s main street”, while another said it was “huge with loads of playgrounds, water activities and entertainment such as movie nights for the whole family.” adventurewhitsunday.com.au
It was a close call with Ayers Rock Campground (ayersrockresort.com.au) nipping at the winner’s heels, while Big4 Cania Gorge Caravan and Tourist Park (cania-gorge.qld.big4.com.au) proved a big hit for young families. Clarkes Beach Holiday Park (clarkesbeach.com.au) on Byron Bay’s beachfront was again a favourite after taking the title last year, as was newcomer Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort (coconut.com.au).
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 48 of Australian Traveller.
The DEC/JAN The Reader Awards issue
MORE FROM AIRLIE BEACH
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT