Where is it? 400km north-west of Hobart, in Stanley How to see it for yourself? The Nut State Reserve is walking distance from the town’s CBD. There is a chairlift and a walking track to the summit of The Nut, which offers spectacular views across Stanley and the Bass Strait. However, the view pictured was taken from Highfield Historic Site, looking south-east. Why I love it “I love to sit high above the picturesque Stanley fishing village and experience remoteness and quietness while looking out at the uninterrupted views across Bass Strait.” – Diane Byrne, Tourism Tasmania Image by Scott Sporleder...
Tasmania's affordable beach accommodation - caravan park Where is it? Stanley, Tas Far North-West Coast. Sitting on the tip of a peninsula, the historic township of Stanley is nestled under an ancient rocky outcrop named ‘the Nut’, which is a haven for wildlife including parrots, fairy penguins and seals. The local tourist park is located at the southern end of the town, between the Nut State Reserve and Sawyer Bay, right on Tatlows Beach. What’s it like? Across six acres of beachside landscape and manicured gardens, Stanley Cabin and Tourist Park provides a range of accommodation from camping and cabins to...
The gem in the underrated northwestern coast of Tasmania, Stanley is a simple fishing village where the local staple is crayfish washed down with crab. Settled in 1826 by employees of the Van Diemen’s Land Company, the simple town is chock full of heritage buildings and cutesy cottages that have doors built for midgets or those fortunate to have lived here in the 19th Century. Almost every building is a B&B. In summer the Stanley Harbour becomes overwhelmed (with a permanent population of 458, that’s not hard to do) by smart Melbourne yachties who cross the straight to enjoy the...
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT