2012 Readers’ Choice Awards: Best Pub
Daly Waters Pub
“A true blue Aussie experience” according to one reader, this outback pub in NT tops the list of Australia’s favourite watering holes.
Located approximately 600km south of Darwin and 1000km north of Alice Springs, ‘We are in the middle of somewhere’ the website reads.
Catering for all travellers passing through the area, the walls and ceilings are adorned with all kinds of memorabilia, from Irish football jerseys to bras of all sizes.
The entertainment is typical Australiana – the resident performer Chilli shares funny stories about the early days in the Territory, paying homage to the historical roots of the town and the pub, which was built in 1930.
Readers love its heritage and the good old-fashioned pub grub served – as well as the promise that beer is always icy cold, despite the soaring heat outside. dalywaterspub.com
For the second time Birdsville Hotel (theoutback.com.au/BirdsvilleHotel), on the edge of the Simpson Desert was a clear AT favourite, while Lord Nelson Brewery (lordnelsonbrewery.com) located in The Rocks appealed to Sydneysiders. The Oaks Hotel (oakshotel.com.au) in Neutral Bay proved an idyllic place to spend lazy Sunday afternoons, while eccentric Ettamogah Pub (ettamogahhotel.com.au) in Kellyville Ridge won votes for its family-friendly activities.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 48 of Australian Traveller.
The DEC/JAN The Reader Awards issue
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT