Great Drives of Australia
Former Open Road editor and author of On the Road 40 Great Driving Holidays in Australia, Lee Atkinson feels most at home when she’s away from home. As her recent guidebook attests, she could point out dozens of top-notch drives in this touring-mad country. We’ve asked for her top ten. Readers, start your engines . . .
The Great Drives Of Australia
We all know that Australia is a big country. And that means lots of driving. And an Australian road trip can be short and scenic (such as the Great Ocean Road) or biblical in it’s scale and adventure such as the Savannah Way or Across the Nullarbor. Each of these drives has been chosen in conjunction with the Australian Traveller editorial team because they each offer a great Australian travel experience. Be it from the best of the outback, to the stunning rainforests of Tasmania.
The only thing we can guarantee is that each of these road trips is one of Australia’s great travel experiences. But each one for different reasons. Read more by following the links below.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
Where // ACT, Australia
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 10 of Australian Traveller.
The 10 greatest drives in Australia Fathers Day - 18 Different Golf courses for 18 different types of fathers. The Blue Mountains on a shoestring budget Off road made easy. A guide to beginners Tank driving school The galloping Granny Maserati Vs Winnebago Centre to surf – From Uluru to the coast Reviews Hotel Review – The MedusaBUY THIS ISSUE
MORE FROM DRIVING HOLIDAYS
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island