2012 Readers’ Choice Awards: Favourite Summer Destination
Be it a family holiday, couple’s escape or girls’ getaway, the Gold Coast has drawn big summer crowds for years.
Theme parks are an obvious lure for families, certainly, but you also love the sunshine and golden sands, vibrant atmosphere and shopping.
As one reader said, “there’s plenty to do and see, an all-rounder holiday destination for both the young and not so young”.
Although the glitz and glamour of the Gold Coast, particularly Surfers Paradise, has copped some flack in the past, responses largely suggest that the area is cleaning up its act.
And who could hate the year-round balmy weather? visitgoldcoast.com
Laid-back Sunshine Coast (visitsunshinecoast.com.au) proved a favourite with its stunning scenery, impressive restaurants and outdoor activities, as did Tasmania (discovertasmania.com.au), abundant in local wine and produce and pristine landscapes. Byron Bay’s (byronnaturally.com.au) beaches, art, food and chilled-out vibe scored many votes, while Sydney (sydney.com) was nominated for its iconic beaches, harbours and summer festivals.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 48 of Australian Traveller.
The DEC/JAN The Reader Awards issue
MORE FROM GOLD COAST
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT