2012 Readers’ Choice Awards: Favourite Summer Destination
Be it a family holiday, couple’s escape or girls’ getaway, the Gold Coast has drawn big summer crowds for years.
Theme parks are an obvious lure for families, certainly, but you also love the sunshine and golden sands, vibrant atmosphere and shopping.
As one reader said, “there’s plenty to do and see, an all-rounder holiday destination for both the young and not so young”.
Although the glitz and glamour of the Gold Coast, particularly Surfers Paradise, has copped some flack in the past, responses largely suggest that the area is cleaning up its act.
And who could hate the year-round balmy weather? visitgoldcoast.com
Laid-back Sunshine Coast (visitsunshinecoast.com.au) proved a favourite with its stunning scenery, impressive restaurants and outdoor activities, as did Tasmania (discovertasmania.com.au), abundant in local wine and produce and pristine landscapes. Byron Bay’s (byronnaturally.com.au) beaches, art, food and chilled-out vibe scored many votes, while Sydney (sydney.com) was nominated for its iconic beaches, harbours and summer festivals.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 48 of Australian Traveller.
The DEC/JAN The Reader Awards issue
MORE FROM GOLD COAST
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island