100 Things To Do Before You Die #011 Drive The Great Ocean Road
Where is it? It begins in Torquay, 100km south-west of Melbourne, and stretches 240km west to Allansford near Warrnambool.
The distance may not seem great, but the best way to ‘do’ the GOR is over a few days, if not a week, to fully appreciate this pretty, serpentine coastal drive. You’ll want to stop at lookouts along the way and give yourself time to overindulge in at least one quaint, gourmet-influenced café in a beachside town, or vineyard in the hills.
“Driving this stretch of Victorian coast offers such diverse scenery you are surprised at every turn, but to truly experience this changeable, dramatic and fabulous part of the Shipwreck Coast, I recommend getting out of the car and doing the Great Ocean Walk with small-tour operator Both Feet.” – Elisabeth Knowles
The biggest treats en route are the spectacular Twelve Apostles. Emerging sharply from the sea, they were formed by erosion of the coastal limestone cliffs. This ocean is fierce here, with the Bass Strait claiming at least 50 vessels during the 19th century. And it’s still destroying the cliffs – only seven of the Twelve Apostles are left, the most recent victim (martyr?) crumbling in September 2009. So see them before you die – or before they do.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
Great Ocean Road VIC
Where // ACT, Australia
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 38 of Australian Traveller.
100 Things To Do In Australia Before You Die
Margaret River - Out and About
The 2011 Snow Report
Clarion Hotel Adelaide Review
Wildflower Walks In The Adelaide Hills
Short Break - Port Douglas
MORE FROM GREAT OCEAN ROAD
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island