The Pole House Holiday Home
Australian Traveller Magazine’s 100 Great Australian Holiday Homes
Almost as famous as the Great Ocean Road itself, the precarious and fabulous Pole House has grown to become a Victorian landmark in its own right – and a pretty inspirational one at that. When the Ash Wednesday bushfires brought the region to its knees in 1983, the Pole House was virtually all that remained untouched, and for years afterwards it bore the blackened evidence of ferocious flames licking the entire length of its 40m pedestal. It was a close call, but today the lofty Frank Dixon-designed 1970s love den (with carpeted walls!) regularly services honeymooners and holidaymakers from around the world. Some argue that it has the best views in the region – but that can’t be true, since it’s the only spot from which you can’t see this splendid structure. So if you do get the chance to walk out across its 23m walkway bridge for a stay, unless you’re afraid of heights and a little bit of swaying in the wind, we suggest you jump at it.
Details // Banool Rd, Fairhaven, Vic. From $355 per night. www.aireysinletrealestate.com.au, (03) 5220 0200.
LE TOP 5 DES PLUS BELLES MAISONS DU VICTORIALE BLOG OFFICIEL DE TOURISM VICTORIA – AUSTRALIE
[...] à 40 mètres au-dessus de la plage de Fairhaven, The Pole House est surement la maison la plus emblématique d’Australie. L’architecte et ingénieur [...]
I was quite disappointed in a couple things
1 for a newly renovated property the lack an exhaust canopy in the kitchen meant you couldn’t cook anything without setting off the smoke alarm, so the main siding glass door needed to be left open for cross ventilation.
2 lack of simple cooking facilities like a 2 burner electric cooktop, instead there was thus plug in the wall induction cokktop with no instructions & so hard to use. The burner was burning the middle of the fry pans, we couldn’t even enjoy a cooked breakfast without a burnt flavor.
3. We were supplied one towel each, half size of a normal bath towel & very thin.
These things sort of ruined the experience a bit would hate to stay long than 2 days.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
The Pole House, Fairhaven, VIC
Where // 28-30 Great Ocean Road, Aireys Inlet, 3231, VIC, Australia
Contact // 03 5220 0200, www.aireysinletrealestate.com.au
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 29 of Australian Traveller.
Issue 29 - October/November 2009 Edition, 100 Great Australian Holiday Homes + Melbourne's New Dope Wars + Australia's Architectural Havens + 10 Things To Do Before You Turn 10.BUY THIS ISSUE
MORE FROM GREAT OCEAN ROAD
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #23 a beachy road trip in WA’s South West
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #42 stay at Berkeley River Lodge, WA
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #59 trek with an elder, WA
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Thalia Haven – the greatest ocean-view bathtub in sight?
- Ultimate Escapes: Tasmania
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #2 road trip Tasmania’s east coast
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #5 book into Saffire Freycinet, Tas
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #13 (a tie) walk the Freycinet Experience, Tas
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT