Old Grafton to Glenn Innes Road
The Old Grafton Road (aka the Old Glen Innes Road if you come from Grafton) wasn’t always a back road; before the Gwydir Highway opened in 1962 it was the only way to get from the mountains to the sea, and it took days – a week if you were travelling by horse. Today it will take about four hours, if you don’t stop for a riverside picnic along the way.
From the Glen Innes end the trip begins in rainforest atop the aptly named Big Hill and winds down to the valley floor in a steep series of switchback turns. At the bottom is the Mann River Nature Reserve, a great place to have a picnic and a swim in one of the large waterholes.This scenic road, which is unsealed most of the way, follows the course of the Mann and Boyd rivers – literally. In many places, the road has been cut into the side of the cliffs that flank the watercourse, and in one spot passes through a 20m hand-hewn tunnel through the rock. Many websites will tell you it was built by convicts. It wasn’t, although the poorly paid contract labourers back in 1867 probably felt like they were working in a chain gang.
Stop and take a look at the memorial at Newtown Boyd – 30 young men from the now-vanished village went off to fight in WWI; only one came home – and wander around the ghost town of Dalmorton, home to 3000 people in the 1890s. Today, the police stables and lock-up, a disintegrating butcher’s shop and cottage, and a few forlorn foundations are all that’s left. This road trip is more than just a pretty day out, it’s a trip back in time.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
Where // ACT, Australia
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 45 of Australian Traveller.
The JUN/JUL Road Trips & Short Breaks Edition
* 20 Short Breaks - State By State coverage of ultimate weekenders
* Quick Day Getaways - Escape the daily grind and hit the road less travelled for one-day sightseeing drives.
* Which Cruise? - Plus step aboard with AT as it hits the decks of three luxury vessels
MORE FROM NSW
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT