2012 Readers’ Choice Awards: Best Train Journey
Once again The Ghan is the clear winner, having received more than half of your votes.
Over three days, this transcontinental rail ride journeys 3000 kilometres, from Darwin to Adelaide.
Named after the Afghan cameleers who once traversed this route, it offers unsurpassed views of Australia’s tropical Top End, to the unparalleled Red Centre.
You voted for its “beautifully restored carriages”, “scenery and service” and the “fascinating” side trips you can temporarily disembark for.
One reader believes “it is the best way to see the true vastness and diversity of Australia”, while another sums it up as “old fashioned opulence with 2012 luxury – an amazing experience”. We’re sold. greatsouthernrail.com.au
With a clear lead on other finalists, the Indian Pacific’s (greatsouthernrail.com.au) iconic journey between Perth and Sydney is a second-time finalist. Kuranda Scenic Railway (ksr.com.au) through Tropical North Queensland and the Tilt Train (queenslandrail.com.au) between Brisbane and Cairns were also repeat favourites, while CountryLink (countrylink.info) was a newcomer for its many scenic routes through regional New South Wales.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 48 of Australian Traveller.
The DEC/JAN The Reader Awards issue
MORE FROM OUTBACK HOLIDAYS
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island