Everything you need to know about the Sofitel brand in Australia. From the staff at Australian Traveller magazine
Quentin Long asks just what the 'race that stops a nation' means to Melbourne's psyche. I have a theory that the Melbourne Cup is largely responsible forMelbourne’s identity as our most sophisticated city. Forget the tennis, the F1, the Boxing Day test and the AFL grand final, those are all times I wish I was in Melbourne. Tuesday is the day I really wished I was a Melbournian. And it’s not only because it’s a public holiday in Victoria, we all bludge the afternoon off with office parties anyway. No other Australian city has a day when the entire populace frocks up and celebrates as one. Yes,...
It’s not all about what’s on the plate for Melbourne’s Best New Restaurant of 2013. Clementine Ford is served. Having spent some of my formative years imprisoned in boarding school, the idea of an early dinner has never sat well with me, so it’s with some trepidation that I claim my 6:30pm table at Pei Modern, the only time available this weekend. The romantic dinner I’d envisaged gives way to images of eating in conspicuous silence, both of us too afraid to speak lest our whispered sweet nothings reverberate off the walls in a booming echo. But I’m pleasantly surprised to enter the...
Ever run into an old friend you haven’t seen in years and been amazed by how fabulous they look? That’s exactly how Tiana Templeman felt when she returned to the Sofitel Brisbane after a multi-million dollar makeover. (to The hotel, not to Tiana.) * Like all AT reviewers, Tiana visited the Sofitel Brisbane anonymously and paid her own way (although, since it was her birthday, hopefully her husband Trevor paid). She advises catching the Airtrain from Brisbane airport to arrive directly underneath the hotel at Central Station. This saves spending wads on a taxi and getting caught in traffic. It’s...
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island