2012 Readers’ Choice Awards: Most Romantic Destination
Another newcomer to AT’s annual awards, the Whitsundays proved to be Australia’s most romantic location, earning an unrivalled lead.
Made up of tropical islands in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef, with azure seas and world-class beaches – few places can compare.
Boasting many private pockets with white sandy stretches for walks, beautiful Coral Sea sunsets and a kaleidoscope of coral and local wildlife, there are many experiences here to share with your other half, be it at sea or on land.
Couples can also expect many high-end restaurants, as well as an array of luxury stays to snuggle up in, making it as one reader said, “our slice of paradise”.
Readers suggested a number of ways to experience the romance of the Whitsundays, with many encouraging local sails and or a visit to “Whitehaven beach – the best picnic in the world”.
Luxury lodges, Hayman and qualia were also frequently mentioned for their “divine delights”, creating what one reader wrote “the most romantic setting – the colours and the seclusion is a winner.”
With harbour views, luxury stays and chic bars, Sydney (sydney.com) was a hot favourite for a romantic escape, as was Melbourne (visitmelbourne.com) for its amazing restaurants, boutique hotels and thriving art scene. Broome (broomevisitorcentre.com.au) was also nominated for its long beaches and stunning sunsets over the sea, and Port Douglas (pddt.com.au) for its stunning surroundings, secluded atmosphere and impressive restaurants.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 48 of Australian Traveller.
The DEC/JAN The Reader Awards issue
MORE FROM THE WHITSUNDAYS
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island