Thredbo village is one of the premier snow villages in Australia -
Rundown:Alongside Hotham, Thredbo vies for the title of the best in the country. It boasts long runs, a chic feel and is a good all-rounder for groups of different standards. However, with Perisher’s grand plans and little serious development in the last decade, Thredders may soon want to consider a few upgrades.
What’s New? Some tweaks in the terrain parks and a number of new properties. How’s the Golf Course lift coming along, guys?
The Good: This is the most atmospheric of the Australian resorts. Thredbo’s European-style village is both attractive and functional. Also, it has the best vertical drop (675m) in the land.
The Not So Good:The corollary to the great vertical is the low village elevation of 1365m. It looks great with snow, not so great without it. In marginal years or during the shoulder season the consistency of snow towards the bottom of Crackenback feels like a cross between lumpy borsch and a 7-11 slurpee.
$ Nettin Chalet, Jindabyne (30km from snowfields): Simple, clean and good for groups and kids. Prices in peak season start at $460 per person for a weekend but also include lift passes, breakfasts and a three-course dinner.
Website: www.nettinchalet.com.au Phone: (02) 6456 2692
$$ Thredbo Alpine Hotel: The place is getting at least part of the serious Queer Eye treatment it has needed for a while, with about $1.5 million spent on room upgrades in the last five years. It’s not super elegant but handy and a place where you can often sneak a room at short notice. Twin room from $225 a night.
Website: www.thredbo.com.au/placestostay Phone: 02 6459 4200.
$$$ Snowcloud Bed and Breakfast, Thredbo: B&B’s are frequently worth a shot when pressed for time and this is one of the better around. Deluxe room from about $230 per person, per night.
Website: www.snowcloud.com.au Phone: (02) 6457 6428
The Denman is a newcomer to the 8Hotels Collection... a recent merge that has Georgia Rickard asking, what else is new at The Denman? There’s something comforting about the drive to Thredbo from Sydney. Don’t ask me what, exactly – is it the questionable coffee at road stops? The requisite stop at Maccas? Whatever the case, I love it unashamedly. And I’m not the only one: it’s a pilgrimage savoured and enjoyed annually by tens of thousands of loyal snow lovers... even though we’re well aware that Aussie ski conditions are hardly stiff competition on the world’s alpine stage. If...
Flip Byrnes tells why home-grown snow is worth forking out for While Japan signs off from a bumper snow season, and New Zealand has deals making skiing in the Land of the Long White Slope cheaper than fush ’n’ chups, it’s tempting to ignore our own ski fields for the excitement of an overseas holiday... with the added pull of powder. But steady up. When was the last time you skied Australia? Became a weekend warrior when the weatherman called “snow”? It’s time to rediscover the Aussie alps. Here’s why: VICTORIA Mt Buller: Melbourne on Ice If Melbourne seems empty...
Whether you’re heading from Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne or elsewhere, a drive to the snow is the way to go. This is one journey that’s all about the destination. One of my first holidays with the girls was to Thredbo the year after I left high school. We rented a tiny short-term rental apartment that slept five of us and I recall laughing so much that I almost wet my pants on several occasions as I struggled to pull down my bib’n’brace in time. Even though we weren’t all at the same skiing level it didn’t matter, it was fun just...
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT