It can be exhilarating and it can be nerve-wracking but there aren’t many people whose lives aren’t enriched by one of the growing number of ‘swim with’ experiences offered in Australia.
Ningaloo Reef on Western Australia’s Coral Coast was the 12th most popular destination on The 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia list, thanks largely to the whale shark encounters on offer (incidentally placing it ahead of the Great Barrier Reef).
But that’s just the start: you can frolic with dolphins or stare face to face with a great white shark (from behind the safety of a cage). So, get your togs on, here are Australia’s 5 Greatest ‘swim withs’ (with the number they finished on the 100 list in brackets)
1. Swim with whale sharks in the ‘other’ reef, Ningaloo,WA (12) – get up close with the world’s largest fish during their peak period of March to August each year.
2. Chase minke whales on the Great Barrier Reef, Qld (35) – migratory season brings these cute whales to the QLD coast from July to September.
3. Swim with sea lions and dolphins (at the same time) in Baird Bay, SA (74) – get up close with both of these inquisitive mammals for a swim experience on a single tour in South Australia.
4. Swim with manta rays on Lady Elliott Island, Qld (85) – widely regarded as the world’s best place to swim with Mantas, gorgeous Lady Elliot Island is a worthwhile destination in and of itself.
5. Go on a great white shark expedition, Port Lincoln, SA (98) – one for the adrenaline junkies, it requires a big trip from Adelaide but is a true ‘bucket list’ item.
See the full list ‘100 Greatest Holidays of Australia‘
The 10 Greatest Roadtrips ofAustralia
The 10 Greatest Luxury Lodges ofAustralia
The 10 Greatest Gourmet Holiday Destinations ofAustralia