Save yourself some time and memorise these need-to-know facts about Sydney:
• Parking in the city is an expensive, fraught experience. Skip it.
• Remember this time: 3 o’clock. Both am and pm, this is taxi changeover time, when you may be left, high heels in hand and throbbing head, wondering if you’ll ever make it home. Plan ahead to avoid the witching hour.
• Ferries are a great way to get around and soak up harbour views at the same time; you can get to Balmain, Manly and even Bondi (via Rose Bay – though you’ll need to take a taxi for the final short leg).
• Most city buses don’t accept cash between 7:00am and 7:00pm on weekdays, so you’ll need to pre-purchase tickets (at newsagents, 7-Eleven convenience stores, Australia Post outlets, train stations and Sydney Ferries wharves).
• A MyMulti Day Pass ($22) buys you passage on trains, buses and light rail all day – great if you’ve got big plans.
• The free Sydney CBD Shuttle (route 555) runs every 10 minutes in both directions on a loop from Central Station to Circular Quay via Elizabeth and George Streets.