Affordable Summer Holidays: Canberra
AT’s guide to the best cheap accommodation for summer and Christmas holidays
Why do we rate it?
You have to visit the nation’s capital… but the cultural offerings are superb.
Where is it?
286km from Sydney, Canberra is a 3hr 30min drive south-west on the Hume Highway.
Where to stay
Hotels just north of the CBD in Braddon come without the hefty rates of more central ones, but are still only a 10min drive away. The heritage All Seasons Olims Hotel has a small but sweet garden and several pet-friendly rooms. Try Clifton on Northbourne or Breakfree Capital Tower for two-bedroom apartments with a pool, gym and restaurant onsite. The brand new Aria Hotel has rooms and apartments right behind the Pavilion on Northbourne.
How much is it?
All Season’s Olims Hotel queen/twin rooms cost $155 on weekends; $197 midweek. Two-bedroom suites cost $250 a night at Clifton on Northbourne and $299 at BreakFree Capital Tower. Aria’s basic rooms cost $140 a night for two, spa suites $185; one-bedder apartments $180.
Rooms are available for Christmas and January; large rooms book out first. Book in advance for New Year’s.
What to do
The best things in life, and in Canberra, are free: the NGA, Library, Museum, Archives, Mint, Museum of Australian Democracy and War Memorial. Whatever you do: don’t go during SummerNats Jan 6-9!
All Seasons Olims Hotel //
Corner of Ainslie & Limestone Aves.
(02) 6243 0000; olimshotel.com.au
BreakFree Capital Tower //
2 Marcus Clarke St.
(02) 6276 3444; breakfree.com.au
Clifton Suites on Northbourne //
100 Northbourne Ave. (02) 6262 6266; cliftonsuites.com.au
Aria Hotel //
45 Dooring St, Dickson.
(02) 6279 7000; ariahotel.com.au
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
Where // 2600, ACT, Australia
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 35 of Australian Traveller.
118 Affordable Summer Holidays You Can Book Now
Top 5 Girls Road Trips
Best Of Bondi: The Locals Guide to Avoid The Tourist Traps
Emirate's Wolgan Valley Resort & Spa: What's It Really Like
How To Holiday Like An A Lister
Australia's Most Interesting Town
MORE FROM ACT
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #23 a beachy road trip in WA’s South West
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Thalia Haven – the greatest ocean-view bathtub in sight?
- Ultimate Escapes: Tasmania
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #2 road trip Tasmania’s east coast
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #5 book into Saffire Freycinet, Tas
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #13 (a tie) walk the Freycinet Experience, Tas
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT