As we head into autumn, it’s time to start thinking about places to snuggle up for a romantic weekend away. Set on a working cattle stud in Ovens Valley, in the snow country of north-east Victoria, The Kilns overlooks 15 acres of grapevines – a gorgeous location for a gumbooted wander.
For much of last century, the property was a tobacco farm. In 2006, the current owners converted the tobacco kilns into Cavedon’s Kilnhouse (above), self-contained accommodation featuring two large living areas clad in washed grey pine; a master bedroom with king-size bed, ensuite and spa; as well as two more bedrooms – one with a king-size bed, the other with two singles that join to make another king. It can accommodate six guests in total. Wood fires, heated floors and a drying cabinet for ski gear make this the perfect spot for a few couples to get together and rent out. A second, two-bedroom lodge, Chinaman’s Kilnhouse (right), was built from scratch in a separate paddock in 2009. Both kilnhouses have comfy country-chic interiors and big windows to capture the views.
The property is 65km from the ski fields of Mount Hotham, 75km from Falls Creek and 35km from Mount Buffalo. It may be a little further away from the ski runs than you’d normally consider, but its private location makes it a covetable place in which to chill out.
Where Just off the Great Alpine Road, Porepunkah, 11km from Bright, Vic.
Notes From $300 per night per couple. Breakfast packages with local produce cost an extra $20 per person.
Contact 0408 553 332; kilnhouse.com.au
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
The Kilns, Porepunkah
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 44 of Australian Traveller.
The 2012 100 Edition
* 100 Best Views in Australia & how to see them for yourself
* 2012 Snow Report: What's new on the slopes this season
* Great Australian Wine Regions you must visit now
* WA's Houtman Abrolhos Islands
* Out & About Adelaide Hills
Ultra Luxe Park Hyatt, Perths Best Boutique Hotel reviewed
MORE FROM VIC
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #23 a beachy road trip in WA’s South West
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Thalia Haven – the greatest ocean-view bathtub in sight?
- Ultimate Escapes: Tasmania
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #2 road trip Tasmania’s east coast
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #5 book into Saffire Freycinet, Tas
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #13 (a tie) walk the Freycinet Experience, Tas
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT