The Great Tropical Drive
The Great Tropical Drive. No.2 of the Great Drives of Australia
The Great Tropical Drive
You won’t find this anywhere else on earth. Two of the world’s greatest living treasures – the reef and the rainforest – meet on the Great Tropical Drive, which is divided into five sections: Northern, Western, Southern, Central and the Great Green Way. Loop north from Cairns to Cooktown via the Captain Cook Highway (right), then inland south through lush tropics and golden savannah to Charters Towers, before curving north again to the coast via Townsville. Rainforest spilling down mountainsides to meet the sea in a chain of magnificently deserted white beaches, cassowaries darting in and out, the loop through the jungley Atherton Tablelands – it’s a piece of Tropical Queensland most tourists don’t even know is there.
Total distance: Cairns to Cairns loop, 2079km
Day 1: Cairns to Port Douglas, 72km
Day 2: Port Douglas to Cook Town, 261km
Day 3: Cook Town to Atherton, 300km
Day 4: Atherton to Undara, 209km
Day 5: Undara to Charters Towers, 395km
Day 6: Charters Towers to Townsville, 133km
Day 7: Townsville to Cairns, 349km
Slow down for . . .
- The Skyrail cablecar and Scenic Railway trip to Kuranda are good. Kuranda is a little touristy, so drive the extra 50km to Mareeba for the real thing
- Try some crocodile pie at Hartley’s Creek Crocodile Farm, 40km north of Cairns.
- Stay at some exquisite B&Bs and explore the hugely underrated Atherton Tablelands, as well as the gorgeous 15km Millaa Millaa Waterfall Circuit.
- Witness the “calling of the cards” at the historic Charter Towers stock exchange, established during the gold rush from 1872 to 1899.
Best kept secret
Hou Wang Temple in Atherton is all that remains of a once thriving Chinatown. The small timber and iron temple built in 1903 has somehow managed to survive, while all around it buildings were demolished and carted away for scrap. It’s still fitted out with the original elaborate carvings, bell and metal vessels brought from China. Guided tours run on demand.
The new Australian Coffee Centre at Skybury’s coffee plantation near Mareeba runs guided plantation tours and also has a terrific cafe. Taste their delicious own-grown coffee on a deck with views that stretch forever.
Accommodation pick of the bunch
Jabiru Camp, Mareeba Tropical Savanna and Wetland Reserve. phone: (07) 4093 2514 website: www.mareebawetlands.com
More info: www.greattropicaldrive.com.au
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 10 of Australian Traveller.
The 10 greatest drives in Australia Fathers Day - 18 Different Golf courses for 18 different types of fathers. The Blue Mountains on a shoestring budget Off road made easy. A guide to beginners Tank driving school The galloping Granny Maserati Vs Winnebago Centre to surf – From Uluru to the coast Reviews Hotel Review – The MedusaBUY THIS ISSUE
MORE FROM DRIVING HOLIDAYS
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Thalia Haven – the greatest ocean-view bathtub in sight?
- Ultimate Escapes: Tasmania
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #2 road trip Tasmania’s east coast
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #5 book into Saffire Freycinet, Tas
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #13 (a tie) walk the Freycinet Experience, Tas
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT