Wish You Were Here: Gunlom Falls Top Pool
Each issue Australian Traveller captures a stunning Aussie location. This time, we look at Gunlom Falls Top Pool, in the south of Kakadu National Park, NT.
While everyone in the country’s south is rugging up in winter woollens and cuddling hot water bottles, sunshine and blue skies are dominating the Top End during its dry season.
Temperate weather makes it an ideal time to see some of the outback’s most beautiful places, like the one pictured – Gunlom Falls Top Pool, in the south of Kakadu National Park, NT.
This natural plunge pool is located at the top of a waterfall: between the pictured pool edge and the sweeping Kakadu views in the background is a steep 50m drop.
Despite the unnervingly close edge, the top pool is a place of serenity, surrounded by sun-baked boulders and shady gum trees, while the big blue sky above is perfectly mirrored by the calm water.
It’s little wonder Gunlom Falls was included in our 100 Best Views in Australia feature last issue, where it was ranked No. 40.
To enjoy these panoramic views for yourself, you’ll need to work for them – the pool is only accessible by 4WD, and only during the dry season, as heavy rain during the Wet makes the roads there impassable. At road’s end, there’s a steep climb up past other swimming holes via a walking track, to reach the top pool. But hey, we think it’s worth it!
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
Kakadu National Park
Overload Your Senses at Kakadu National Park
Where // NT, Australia
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 45 of Australian Traveller.
The JUN/JUL Road Trips & Short Breaks Edition
* 20 Short Breaks - State By State coverage of ultimate weekenders
* Quick Day Getaways - Escape the daily grind and hit the road less travelled for one-day sightseeing drives.
* Which Cruise? - Plus step aboard with AT as it hits the decks of three luxury vessels
MORE FROM NT
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island