2012 Readers’ Choice Awards: Favourite Winter Destination
It seems Queensland is a year-round destination for AT readers, crowned your favourite destination in both summer (thanks to the Gold Coast) and winter.
With winter temperatures still generally reaching the mid-20s, it’s perfect for escaping the southern chill. The (slight) drop in tourists are also a major drawcard for many, meaning more beach space, shorter queues, discounted airfares and better rates on accommodation.
Cairns and Port Douglas received particular mention for their close proximity to the Great Barrier Reef – a very Australian winter wonderland. queenslandholidays.com.au
NSW Snowy Mountains (snowymountains.com.au) is Australia’s go-to destination for skiing and snowboarding, while the Blue Mountains (bluemts.com.au) proved another wintery favourite with heritage buildings, scenic bush walks and cosy B&Bs. Melbourne (visitmelbourne.com) was nominated for its cosy pubs, theatres and AFL, while Tasmania’s (discovertasmania.com.au) dramatic winter landscape received many votes, particularly Cradle Mountain in snow.
LOUISE BOYLEN MONTVILLE GROVE
And while southerners are coming up to Queensland for warmth in winter, Queenslanders head for places like Montville, Maleny and the Granite Belt where it’s cold enough to have a log fire.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 48 of Australian Traveller.
The DEC/JAN The Reader Awards issue
MORE FROM QLD
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island