SYDNEY BOUTIQUE ACCOMMODATION
Above the buzz of lively Darlinghurst is this lavish little gem, boasting front row seats to Sydney’s iconic harbour... and uninterrupted views of a certain harbour bridge. Suitably named Sky Loft, this contemporary, three-bedroom apartment has been expertly styled; with rich timber flooring, designer furnishings and Italian marble. From the dreamy beds, draped in plush linen, to the sleek bathrooms stocked with Aveda toiletries, the interior is as impressive as the view. The fully-equipped kitchen is fit for any budding chef with Electrolux appliances and a large island bench perfect for entertaining, as is the adjoining living area, furnished with...
Hiding down a steep, winding driveway quietly lined with gumtrees, is a bright, colourful secret: Snapper Lodge. This tiny one bedroom shack, nestled on the water’s edge of beachy Sydney suburb Newport, is a perennial favourite amongst its regular – and a weatherboard with a difference. “It didn’t always look this way,” admits Peter Lewis, who, along with his wife Lily, has owned the property for over 30 years. “When I first got in there, there was a shower in the middle of the room where the bed is; bamboo was growing everywhere… it was all really overgrown, but really cute.”...
This stylish boutique gem is now a real Rocks star, says Quentin Long The doilies are gone. The walls and floors have been stripped back, reworked and revealed. What was once affordable but definitely daggy and stale is now the newest, hottest boutique hotel in Sydney. The new Harbour Rocks Hotel is a masterpiece of boutique hoteliery, with all the expected quirks and hallmarks that make for a unique place to stay. The 59-room hotel is the amalgamation of an 1887 bond store and three sandstone terraces. It’s a thoughtful and sympathetic redevelopment that’s cost the owners enormous amounts of...
Australian Traveller Magazine's 100 Great Australian Holiday Homes Ever wanted to travel back in time? Now’s your chance. For a holiday at Snapper Lodge in Newport, you’d be better off packing a poodle skirt, white ankle socks and hair curlers than your bikini; it’s an utterly kitsch, perfectly preserved 1950s beach house, complete with lime-washed doors, candy pink painted walls, striped sunlounges, awnings and gingham checked beds. It’s not hard to understand why Snapper Lodge – originally a boathouse – is so admired by design and fashion gurus. The house is awash with colour, and characterised by a million darling...
Hotel Review - The Medusa Hotels and resorts reviewed by Australian Traveller are visited anonymously by our writers who pay their own way. Had Hunter S Thompson happened upon this converted Victorian terrace, the combination of colours may have sent even him into a state of unexpected confusion. Beyond the front door are tessellated tiles, red carpet and pink walls. At reception a copy of Medusa’s severed head by Caravaggio hangs above a fireplace. There are Fritz Hansen chairs. For first-time visitors this panoply will confound even those who profess a level of sanity. The whole place, somehow, works a treat and...
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #23 a beachy road trip in WA’s South West
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #42 stay at Berkeley River Lodge, WA
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Thalia Haven – the greatest ocean-view bathtub in sight?
- Ultimate Escapes: Tasmania
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #2 road trip Tasmania’s east coast
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #5 book into Saffire Freycinet, Tas
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #13 (a tie) walk the Freycinet Experience, Tas
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT