Organised tours have a mixed reputation. Some are good, most are pretty bad, others are downright ugly. The real trick is knowing which ones are brilliant. Gail Liston hits the road to bring you 20 Top Tours from around the country – plus a few weird and wonderful extras for good measure.
Touring has become passé. Those days of considered planning on where, when and how the next vacation should be spent have slipped into the suitcase of travel neglect. And as for joining a tour, for most of us that option doesn’t even come into the equation. Well, think again. Going on tour isn’t what it used to be.
Whether you seek pampering, walking, adventure, discovery or communing with nature, the Australian travel market is offering up a veritable smorgasbord of innovative tours – and there’s definitely something for everyone, from the budget-conscious to the nerdy twitcher.
So take a word of advice from someone who professed never to join an organised tour: ignore people like me! Get out there and enjoy.
20 Top Australian Tours
1. Arnhem Land & Coburg Peninsula, Venture North
2. Barossa Daimler Full Day Tour
3. Bay of Fires Walk, Anthology Travellers’ Collection
4. Bininj Angarre, Kakadu Culture Camp
5. Cape York Advanced, Wilderness Challenge
6. Esperance Native Heritage, Kepa Kurl
8. Four-day Flinders Ranges Outback Discovery, Bookabee Tours Australia
9. Great Australian Air Cruise, Bill Peach Journeys
10. Great Ocean Walk, Bothfeet
11. Katherine River three-day Respite, Gecko Canoeing
12. Kimberley Spiritual Experience, Wundargoodie Aboriginal Safaris
13. Lake Eyre Flood Flight, Air Wilpena
14. Man From Snowy River & Heritage Ride, Adventure Victoria
15. Montague Island Tour
16. Mungo National Park Sunset Tour, Harry Nanya
17. Rainbow Serpent Tour, Guurrbi Tours
18. Seven-day Spirit of the Kimberley, Kimberley Wild Expeditions
19. Ten-day Perth to Perth via Ningaloo Reef & Karijini, Western Xposure