AT has long been a pet-friendly travel magazine and is in fact considering a special issue dedicated to fur kids travel with our mate Dr Katrina Warren. When this came across our desk we thought we should share. It’s the top tips for travelling with your pet:
1. Make sure your pet is wearing ID that will allow you to be contacted wherever you are. A mobile number on your pet’s tag is a good option.
2. Remember to pack for your pet. It’s a good idea to bring a portable bowl, your pet’s favourite toys or blankets for familiarity and a supply of special treats.
3. Many places welcome pets and you can research the options on websites before you embark on your journey.
4. It’s a good idea to take a harness or carrier box as there may be times on your travels when you need to secure your pet within the vehicle.
5. Some cats enjoy travel but they should always be confined whenever travelling to avoid any mishaps.
6. Dogs love the open air from a moving car’s window but it can be unsafe for your best friend. It’s better to keep the dog inside the car and let it enjoy the fresh air when you get to your destination.
7. It’s a good idea to take a simple pet first-aid kit containing bandages, antiseptic cream, tweezers (to remove foreign objects from fur) and pet travel medication. We recommend further information at www.drkatrina.com.au.
If you have our own pet yarn or want to add your voice to the pet lovers at AT HQ, email us via firstname.lastname@example.org