Australians are looking for deeper meaning in their holiday experiences, ones that expand the mind while we travel, according to our 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia. And Aussie’s are flying the culture vulture route well outside the big cities, the traditional bastions of all things edifying: whether it’s travelling to an inspiring indigenous dance gala in the outback; letting yourself go at one of the more progressive festivals; or challenging ideas at the refreshingly challenging MONA.
So here are the top 10 places our 20-member panel of experts deemed to be the go-to destinations for culture vultures (with the position they finished overall in the 100 – and beyond – in brackets).
1. Take in MONA in Hobart, Tas (28)
2. Discover rock art in the outback (50)
3. A creative escape to Tiwi Islands,NT(51)
4. See the roots of an ancient culture, Mungo National Park, NSW (70)
5. Get Festive on the Fringes, Adelaide, SA (76)
6. Immerse yourself in indigenous dance, Laura, Qld (92)
7. Cross barriers at Garma, NT (95)
8. Attend Vivid Sydney festival (114)
9. Woodford Folk Festival, Sunshine Coast Hinterland, Qld (125)
10. WOMADelaide (World of Music Arts & DanceAdelaide), SA (132)