April 22, 2022
3 mins Read
Esperance to Perth is considered one of the ultimate Western Australian self drives.
It’s easy to do featuring fully sealed roads that make it more than safe. It also allows you to cover the entire south west corner of the state, guiding you through an abundance of things to see, eat and do.
In between sumptuous meals, coastal towns, quaint eateries and winery visits, the drive through sun-drenched forests, past row-upon-row of lovingly-tended vines and along a coastline fashioned into bluffs and bays by the continent’s biggest surf.
It’s a reminder that while this south-western journey can be more indulgent than previous drives, the natural scenery rolling past windows plays an equally important role in another unforgettable WA road trip.
A comfortable 2WD, an appetite for food and adventure, and an alarm clock!
• Swim at Lucky Bay – Australia’s whitest beach
• Cape Le Grand National Park
• Visit Esperance Stonehenge: a complete replica of the UK’s famous attraction
• Cindy Poole Glass Gallery
• Torndirrup National Park
• Go Whale watching and visit the historic Whaling station
• Visit the Tree Top Walk in the Valley of the Giants
• Greens Pool
• Mokare Heritage Trail
• William Bay National Park
• Climb the Gloucester Tree
• Truffle hunting
• Shannon National Park
• Take a dip in Glenoran Pool
• Go whale watching
• Explore the abundance of caves
• Visit the famous farmers market
• Indulge in a long lunch at one of the many wineries
• Take advantage of the sea kayaks, stand-up-paddle boards, paddle boats and surfing
• $1460 for Budget hire of mid-sized vehicle – $95 per day plus a $700 one-way fee from Esperance
• $181 for flight from Perth to Esperance with Skywest
• $440 for two nights at Island View Apartments, Esperance
• $215 for one night at Karma Chalets, Denmark
• $420 for two nights at Foragers, Pemberton
• $798 for two nights at Cape Lodge, Margaret River
• $750 for tours for two people with Wilderness Getaways and Margaret River Discovery
• $1600 for food and drink
• $500 for fuel
Total cost = $6364
September to April
For more check out our list of the 12 best things to see and do on the drive from Perth to Esperance.
On one side is rugged outback, on the other a marine wonderland, and in the middle... Monkey Mia, where the red desert meets the sea Western Austra...
The dos and don’ts of scoring that photo with Rottnest Island’s star attraction. If Rottnest Island isn’t already part of your WA travel plans,...
If you’ve got a Texas-sized hole in your stomach, we know how to cure it. Kirsten Hyam rounds up the latest trend in Perth: cool American-themed b...
For the best travel inspiration delivered straight to your door.$29.95
Personally I’d start at Condingup Tavern 70km east of Esperance heading down to Orleans Bay Caravan Park which although a bit dated, is near Wharton Beach a bright white sandy beach where dolphins often come to enjoy the pristine surf. The place is so remote few make the journey, however it is worth it. Coffee, lunch or dinner at the Condy tavern will surprise and delight. Then spend a few days Lucky Bay, Hellfire Bay, Cape LeGrand, climb Frenchman’s Peak just to see the view, take an island cruise, relax and chill out with the locals. You wont want to leave Esperance but take a wetsuit the water is cold but worth the invigorating feeling of being alive you’ll get catching a wave. Then head west making sure you visit many of the beaches along the way, Munglinup, Hopetown, Bremmer Bay. And then there the Fitzgerald River National Park and you haven’t even touched the tip of what’s to see. The southwest coast is something else. Do yourself a favour: don’t die without seeing it.
Wendy, sounds like you know this area intimately. Think we might try your way next time 🙂