An eight-day journey taking in approximately 1030 kilometres of the south-west coast’s beautiful beaches and forests, topped off with gourmet adventures around Pemberton and Margaret River.
Esperance to Perth is considered one of the ultimate Western Australian self drives.
It’s easy to do featuring fully sealed roads that make it more than safe. It also allows you to cover the entire south west corner of the state, guiding you through an abundance of things to see, eat and do.
The vibrant Pink Lake (in certain weather conditions), 7km from Esperance, WA.
In between sumptuous meals, coastal towns, quaint eateries and winery visits, the drive through sun-drenched forests, past row-upon-row of lovingly-tended vines and along a coastline fashioned into bluffs and bays by the continent’s biggest surf.
It’s a reminder that while this south-western journey can be more indulgent than previous drives, the natural scenery rolling past windows plays an equally important role in another unforgettable WA road trip.
What you’ll need
A comfortable 2WD, an appetite for food and adventure, and an alarm clock!
• Swim at Lucky Bay – Australia’s whitest beach
• Cape Le Grand National Park
• Visit Esperance Stonehenge: a complete replica of the UK’s famous attraction
• Cindy Poole Glass Gallery
The perfection of Lucky Bay, Esperance
• Torndirrup National Park
• Go Whale watching and visit the historic Whaling station
Swimmers on Middleton Beach, Albany (photo: Fleur Bainger).
• Visit the Tree Top Walk in the Valley of the Giants
• Greens Pool
• Mokare Heritage Trail
• William Bay National Park
Elephant Rocks, Denmark, WA.
• Climb the Gloucester Tree
Forest south west – Pemberton
• Truffle hunting
• Shannon National Park
• Take a dip in Glenoran Pool
Detective truffle hunters are on patrol in Manjimup
• Go whale watching
• Explore the abundance of caves
• Visit the famous farmers market
• Indulge in a long lunch at one of the many wineries
• Take advantage of the sea kayaks, stand-up-paddle boards, paddle boats and surfing
Cape to Cape: The best of the Margaret River region under your own steam.
• $1460 for Budget hire of mid-sized vehicle – $95 per day plus a $700 one-way fee from Esperance
• $181 for flight from Perth to Esperance with Skywest
• $440 for two nights at Island View Apartments, Esperance
• $215 for one night at Karma Chalets, Denmark
• $420 for two nights at Foragers, Pemberton
• $798 for two nights at Cape Lodge, Margaret River
• $750 for tours for two people with Wilderness Getaways and Margaret River Discovery
• $1600 for food and drink
• $500 for fuel
Total cost = $6364
The best time of year:
September to April
For more check out our list of the 12 best things to see and do on the drive from Perth to Esperance.