042 Land a spaceship in the main street
No wonder the interstellar crew were freaked out – they found themselves crashed and stranded in Coober Pedy.
Head down Hutchison St in Coober Pedy today and you’ll see the Pitch Black spaceship parked out front of the Opal Cave opal shop. The futuristic craft has that beaten-up, just-crashed look about it, and should look totally out of place here. But get used to the unusual – this is Coober Pedy.
SA’s outback region makes for great sci-fi movie sets: the stony Moon Plains aren’t too far out of town and The Breakaways colourful mesa formations are a ready-made otherworld film stage. Pitch Black the movie was made about nine years ago with much of it filmed in The Breakaways. The damaged spaceship was bought by Opal Cave owners Lorraine and Dieter Sternberg, who soon discovered it’d never fly again. And somewhere out here, where the land is baked to 48°C, arid and strangely enigmatic, NASA is considering training astronauts for a planned mission to Mars.
Where // Coober Pedy is 860km (about 9hrs drive) north of Adelaide. The Pitch Black ship is in front of the Opal Cave (08 8672 5028), on the main street.
Did you know? // Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert were both filmed around Coober Pedy and The Breakaways.
SEE THE FULL LIST: 100 Things you can only do in Australia
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
Coober Pedy, SA
Where // SA, Australia
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 20 of Australian Traveller.
100 things you can ONLY do in Australia. A guide to unique Australian experiences and oddities. The foods of Margaret River. Geelong Victoria, Orange NSW. reviews: Tonic, NSW and Hunter Valley hideaway recommendations.BUY THIS ISSUE
MORE FROM COOBER PEDY
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Your Shot Winner: Two Miles of sunset
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT