Andrea Black takes time out to explore a rock legend’s formative (and criminal) years in Fremantle, WA
There’s a seagull perched on Bon Scott’s ripple-soled desert boot, but Bon doesn’t seem to mind. He is standing atop a Marshall amp, shoulders back, microphone in hand, paused in the classic Bon Scott stance as he gazes past Cicerello’s fish and chip shop towards the sky. He’s wearing denim, with jeans so tight the creases encircle his manhood. A finger points to the bulge, in the unlikely event you’ve missed it. You can almost hear him belt out one of his AC/DC hits: “In the beginning/Back in 1955/Man didn’t know ’bout a rock ’n’ roll show/and all that jive.”
- Eat fish and chips at Cicerello’s. Mmm… cicerellos.com.au
- Visit the two local markets, Fremantle and E Shed.
- Shop at Get Lucky for great vintage finds and band merchandise. (08) 9336 6097
- Look up the local gig guide for a band called Hells Bells – they play the area regularly and limit their set to only AC/DC covers.
- Take the Doing Time tour at Fremantle Prison. fremantleprison.com.au
- Toast at Little Creatures Brewery. littlecreatures.com.au
- Salute Bon Scott’s grave. http://www.mcb.wa.gov.au/OurCemeteries/Fremantle-Cemetery.aspx
- Visit the Maritime Museum.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
Where // WA, Australia
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 45 of Australian Traveller.
The JUN/JUL Road Trips & Short Breaks Edition
* 20 Short Breaks - State By State coverage of ultimate weekenders
* Quick Day Getaways - Escape the daily grind and hit the road less travelled for one-day sightseeing drives.
* Which Cruise? - Plus step aboard with AT as it hits the decks of three luxury vessels