2012 Readers’ Choice Awards: Best Bar
Located on the lower concourse level of the Sydney Opera House, Opera Bar boasts front-row seats to Sydney’s two most recognisable landmarks – the house and the bridge.
And it is this view that earned the majority of votes from readers, with countless comments like “best view in the world”, “spectacular sunsets” and “great location and atmosphere”, submitted time and time again.
Listed as a finalist last year, Opera Bar has since upped the ante to take out first place, which could be largely attributed to the top service and regular live music performances.
The extensive drinks menu is also a major drawcard, offering an array of beers, cocktails and over 45 wines by the glass, with seasonal modern-Australian main courses and impressive tapas-style tasting plates to boot.
But the biggest drawcard? That heartbreaking, breathtaking, uniquely Australian view. operabar.com.au
As last year’s winner, The Ivy (merivale.com.au) is still a marked crowd favourite, followed by opulent Marble Bar (marblebarsydney.com.au), downstairs in Sydney’s Hilton Hotel. In fact Sydney dominated this entire category, rounding it out with the classic elegance of Establishment Bar (merivale.com.au/establishmentbar) in the city’s CBD, and New York-inspired Blu Bar on 36 (shangri-la.com/Sydney), at Sydney’s Shangri-La Hotel.
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
BUY THE ISSUE
This article appeared in Issue 48 of Australian Traveller.
The DEC/JAN The Reader Awards issue
MORE FROM SYDNEY
LATEST ON FACEBOOK
LATEST TWEETSTweets by @AustTraveller
WHERE ARE YOU TRAVELLING TO?
Select a state to view more
- The ‘ghost towns’ of outback NSW
- East coast country cottage chic
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #53 road trip the Legendary Pacific Coast, Sydney to Brisbane
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #63 take a beach break, Sapphire Coast, NSW
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #86 a beach break on The Shoalhaven Coast, NSW
- Dream road trips: Broome to Exmouth (via the Warlu Way)
- Dream road trips: Esperance to Perth (via Margaret River)
- Dream road trips – Perth to the Pilbara (return)
- Ultimate Escapes: WA’s Great South West Edge – wine, white sand & wilderness
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #19 escape to the Rowley Shoals, WA
- Ultimate Escapes: Queensland’s Wet Tropics
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #11 stay at Lizard Island, Qld
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #54 holiday in Queensland’s triple threat
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #78 walk Thorsborne Trail, Hinchinbrook Island
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #85 swim with Manta Rays, Lady Elliot Island, Qld
- Ultimate Escapes: Timeless North, NT
- Get lost in style in the Northern Territory
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #18 see the wet season in the Top End
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #27 make the Red Centre pilgrimage
- 100 Greatest Holidays of Australia: #56 (tie) follow Larapinta Trail (World Expeditions), NT